Cold Brewed Coffee into a Vanilla Porter

Share or get feedback on recipes

Cold Brewed Coffee into a Vanilla Porter

Postby s00p » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:47 pm

Greetings, Brewers!

I have a vanilla porter in secondary fermentation right now. I plan to bottle this weekend. I was playing with the idea of adding in some cold brewed coffee to part of the batch. I'm thinking I'd just add it into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. Has anyone tried this method before? Ideas on amounts of coffee to use (per 5 gallons)?

Thanks for your input!
s00p
American Light Lager

Re: Cold Brewed Coffee into a Vanilla Porter

Postby Srceenplay » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:37 pm

I have no advice to give but I am interested how it turns out for you. Keep the thread posted.
Srceenplay
Saison

Postby ShockerEngr » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Yes, you can add it to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar, as for how much, that's a good question and not an exact science. you can try pulling a sample out prior to bottling, and adding a small amount (measuring both!) and adjust to taste - when kegging, that's a bit easier to do, but still the same idea.

either way, keep notes so you know where to adjust the next time!
ShockerEngr
Belgian Dubbel

Postby s00p » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Thank you both for the reply! I'm also wondering about sanitizing the coffee. It'll be cold brewed so the water wouldn't have been boiled and I don't want to boil the coffee after the fact. I'm wondering if I boil the water first, then cool it back down in the freezer before pouring it over the coffer grounds would be sufficient. I'll have to do some research. Either way I'll let you know if I pull it off and how it works out.
s00p
American Light Lager

Postby labninja » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:10 pm

I would think that boiling the coffee after the fact wouldn't change the flavor. If you are dead set against it however you could try pasteurizing it, or maybe a small piece of a campden tablet (assuming you aren't making 5 gallons of coffee) and some time might be the thing to do.
labninja
American IPA

Postby Srceenplay » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:57 am

Now that I think of it there was an episode in the brewing network 3 or 4 months back. JP's show, the judging one? Someone sent in I think a coffee stout. The had a discussion about different ways to add the coffee

Might go and find it in the archives
Srceenplay
Saison

Postby s00p » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Srceenplay wrote:Now that I think of it there was an episode in the brewing network 3 or 4 months back. JP's show, the judging one? Someone sent in I think a coffee stout. The had a discussion about different ways to add the coffee

Thank you, sir! I'll have to check it out. I need to bottle Monday so it isn't sitting on the vanilla beans too long. Not sure if I'll even have time to cold brew some coffee. I will be sure to post the results if I can make it happen. Worst case I still have some good home-brew'd vanilla porter. All is well.
s00p
American Light Lager

Postby college.hill.brewer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:57 pm

If you are an AHA member you can download the conference talk on brewing with coffee from this past year's conference for free. I've always been told as a rule of thumb when adding flavoring be careful and add smaller amounts at first. Then adjust to your personal preference. It is recommended to add in cold steeped coffee.
Last edited by college.hill.brewer on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
college.hill.brewer
American IPA

Postby college.hill.brewer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:01 pm

s00p wrote:
Srceenplay wrote:Now that I think of it there was an episode in the brewing network 3 or 4 months back. JP's show, the judging one? Someone sent in I think a coffee stout. The had a discussion about different ways to add the coffee

That would be the "Dr. Homebrew" show on the Brewing Network...
college.hill.brewer
American IPA

Return to Recipes