Russian Imperial Stout water question?

Share or get feedback on recipes

Russian Imperial Stout water question?

Postby beardcaswell » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:03 am

I am planning on brewing a big Russian Imperial Stout this weekend. All grain biab with an estimated SRM around 41. estimated OG 1.097. Its going to be a lot of different grains and I plan on aging it for a good deal of time before drinking it. I plan to throw a half a campden tablet in to get rid of the cholrine/chlorimine. I usually just use straight tap water. Any suggestions on water additions that would help make this thing amazing or just roll with what I have? I have not had the time to really dive as deep into water chemistry as I would like.
beardcaswell
American IPA

Re: Russian Imperial Stout water question?

Postby ShockerEngr » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:18 pm

Without knowing anything else on your process or grain bill, the use of campden tablets with Wichita water should get you a water profile that's close enough to what you need. A darker beer will put you at the lower range of mash pH and should have sufficient buffer capacity to handle to sparge water, assuming standard mash thicknesses. From a flavor ion standpoint, Wichita water accentuates malt flavor, which is appropriate for a RIS, esp an aged RIS where any hop character will fade away.
ShockerEngr
Belgian Dubbel

Re: Russian Imperial Stout water question?

Postby beardcaswell » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Thank you for the response I will just stick with my original plan of tap water with the campden tab then. I figured it would probably be fine just wanted to double check. learning water is my next big venture.
beardcaswell
American IPA

Return to Recipes