Spent Grain - Pizza Dough

Cheese, kimchi, sauerkraut

Spent Grain - Pizza Dough

Postby KatieMiles » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:34 am

You can either use the entire amount for a thick-crust pizza, or divide in half to make two thin-crust pizzas.

¾ cup lukewarm water (105-115 degrees)
1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
1 teaspoon sugar
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1 cup spent grain
½ teaspoon salt

Whisk water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl and let stand until the yeast starts to bubble, about 5 minutes. Stir in flours, spent grain and salt. Dump onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.

Place the dough in a large bowl coated with oil, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. To make the dough ahead of time, cover and refrigerate the unrisen dough for up to 1 day, or tightly wrap the unrisen dough in oiled plastic wrap, freeze for up to 3 months, and defrost the dough overnight in the refrigerator. Let the dough come to room temperature before rolling.

When ready to bake, roll the dough into a circular slab and place on a pizza stone or tray. Top with your choice of cheeses, sauces, veggies and meats, and bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted.
KatieMiles
Saison

Re: Spent Grain - Pizza Dough

Postby Bob_The_Brewer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:14 am

Have you had an issue with the spend grain husks being not milled to a fine powder? When I sample the spent grains it tastes good until I get a grain husk caught in my throat and then I curse and say "well I will never do that again". I didn't know if the baking softened the husks enough to not cause this.
Can he brew it? Yes he can!
Bob_The_Brewer
Saison

Postby Chainstitch » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Interesting thought Bob I'm getting ready to brew another Porter and we make our own pizza dough all the time I'll have to try some of the spent grain in the pizza dough and I'll let you know
Chainstitch
Saison

Postby J_Corbin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:08 am

Bob_The_Brewer wrote:Have you had an issue with the spend grain husks being not milled to a fine powder? When I sample the spent grains it tastes good until I get a grain husk caught in my throat and then I curse and say "well I will never do that again". I didn't know if the baking softened the husks enough to not cause this.

I often make spent grain bread without milling them. Yes, the husks can cause issues w/ certain people, but I just look at it as extra fiber. The bread I make is pretty dense anyway. I have considered putting the grain in the food processor to break it down before using it in the dough, but haven't tried it yet.

Baking the husks definitely DOES NOT soften them =)
J_Corbin
Saison

Postby mwilcox » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:10 am

after grinding it up could you run it through some sort of strainer to get the actual flour and keep out some of the husks?

...I've never done it so I don't know how fine it becomes.
mwilcox
Saison

Return to Food